Saturday, May 25, 2019

Where Did My Week GO??

I honestly had planned on writing posts as soon as I returned from my trip this past week, but I was feeling under the weather and I had some craziness going on at work. I feel like I am allowed to take a bit of time away as I want this blog to be fun. If it becomes work then I probably will not enjoy it as much. Anyway, let me tell you about my trip!

We were stopped at a red light in Salem Oregon and I loved the color combos (and subjects) of this painted wall. I must say I have seen more wonderful murals out in the wild on the west coast as compared to the midwest.

The weather was good for our trip for the most part and even though it did rain a little we were still able to visit a few of my favorite shops while on the coast. We went into a store called Astoria Hardware (that I of course forgot to take pictures of....next time!) that has lots of vintage hardware, books, furniture and more. I didn't purchase anything from there this trip but I know there are a few things that I will pick up if they are there next time.

From there we stopped by the Astoria Post Office and Customs House.
This was as good a picture as I could capture without crossing the street and possibly drawing some odd stares. The outside of the building is what I would consider very typical of post offices I have been to back in Ohio. You could tell the building has been there for quite some time.
The inside was gorgeous. It was clean and friendly and almost a bit regal seeming. One of the big differences from the inside of other post offices I have been to was the marble. It was everywhere in this post office. I wish I had taken a picture of the inside room. *sigh* Add that to my list for next time.
The post office boxes themselves have a very vintage feel to them. I love the numbering on them and in my opinion are much better aesthetically than the gray box that I now get my postal love in. Oh well. We can't all get our mail in beautiful boxes like that.

This post office also had lots of stamp variety. Which is amazing! I am telling you I wish all post offices did! My local post office doesn't carry much variety, even when the stamps are released here (that is for another post though). I picked up another sheet of the intercontinental railroad stamps as well as Scooby and Cactus Flowers stamps. The lady who helped me was warm an inviting and even gave me a glassine envelope so my stamps wouldn't get damaged.

I went to another post office in Seaside proper and they didn't have as much variety for stamps, but I did pick up the Little Mo stamps as well as a copy of USA Philatelic. The lady working the counter was not as friendly (quite honestly she seemed like she hated her job). Overall, I would go to either post office again as the Astoria one is beautiful and the one in Seaside is near other shops I frequent.

Before we arrive and as we are leaving we always stop at a convenience store called Snack Jacks. I think I take a picture of this set of dilapidated po boxes every time we pass them. There is something about the weathered blue and red that I just love.

Do you look for postal items when you travel? I think my new favorite thing is visiting the post offices and seeing what they have to offer. I will be doing that again in a few weeks on a trip to Arizona to see family. :)

More Soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment