Saturday, March 17, 2012

St Patricks Day

Above is a stamp featuring St. Patrick treading on snakes. Are you wondering why the stamp is set in blue and not green? Well, the truth is that St. Patrick was originally associated with blue! Over the years we have changed that to green and my guess is that it has something to do with the Shamrock legend. You see St. Patrick once used the 3-leafed shamrock to explain the holy trinity to the pagan Irish. Makes sense right?

While St. Patrick died in 461, it wasnt until the 1600s that it was made a holy day for Catholics. And even then it wasn't made an official public holiday in Ireland until 1903. And though St. Patricks Day is not an official holiday here in the states, it is still one of the most celebrated holidays in the country. As the saying goes, everyone is Irish on St. Patrick's Day!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there :) Interesting, where I am I don't really do much on St Pats Day :P
    A few of my mate's go drinking I guess and.. wear lot sof green, but that's about all :D

    Found you from interpals > you sent me a message awhile back asking if I was interested in snail mailing? :)

    ReplyDelete