Sunday, May 19, 2019

Stamp Sunday


CIPEX Souvenir Sheet US #948
Issue Date: May 19, 1947

I am not sure where I found these stamps, though I am pretty sure I didn't pay much for them. ( I am a bargain hunter after all). They were issued at the Centenary International Philatelic Exhibition in commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the first every postage stamps released in the United States. The two stamps featured are actual postage and were valid for mailing (and I suppose still are) though I could understand why no one used them. 

It is interesting to note that the first postage stamp released in the US wasn't actually released until July 1, 1847. So technically these released just shy of the actual 100th anniversary, but who is actually nitpicking?

Have you ever seen these?

No comments:

Post a Comment