Wednesday, April 17, 2019

The Letter


Messenger of Sympathy and Love
Servant of Parted Friends
Consoler of the Lonely
Bond of the Scattered Family
Enlarger of the Common Life

Carrier of News and Knowledge
Instrument of Trade and Industry
Promoter of Mutual Acquaintance
Of Peace and of Goodwill Among Men and Nations.

    -Charles William Eliot


I had never read this poem, but I found it when looking up another subject for another post. This poem is actually posted outside the National Postal Museum in Washington, DC. I have never been there but I am dying to go.

I wonder if the poem still holds the same truth that it did when it was written. Seems postal communication is becoming more and more antiquated as the years continue on. Still I like to think that written communications mean more now than ever.


No comments:

Post a Comment