Wednesday, April 11, 2012

William H Johnson

Today is the first day of issue of the William H. Johnson stamp depicting his painting titled Flowers. Johnson was one of the foremost African American artists in the United States and often drew from his heritage for the subjects of his paintings.

This is the twelfth stamp in the American Treasures series of stamps released by the USPS. The issuing city is Baltimore, Maryland.

I don't know about you, but I will certainly be picking up these stamps soon! I think they will look great on some mail art!

4 comments:

  1. I forgot to wish you a happy national library workers day! I still have yet to get the DC cherry fest stamps and now I have to get these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking forward to these stamps for what seems like forever. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I'd read your post before buying stamps today. I bought new international and canada/mexico stamps, and I don't use the word ugly very often, but these come close. They are unappealing to me on every level. Was in a rush so didn't look at them until I was home. :(

    Will buy these first chance I get. Thanks for making me feel better. :)

    P.S. I sold a drawing today. :D Well, someone saw one of my drawings and asked to buy a copy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes ~ now here's a stamp I'll be buying!! Compared to the ones Limner blogged about, this is spectacular!!!

    ReplyDelete