Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Valentine Postcard Fabric

I recently went to a quilters de-stash with my mother and grandmother. I didn't have much luck finding anything of real interest there. I picked up a few bits of fabric and some embroidery floss because well..you never know when you may need it.

The following week we decided to try this going out of business sale. My mother quilts and is always on the lookout for good deals on fabric. I knew there wouldn't be much to look at, but still went because I enjoy spending time with them both. Three generations of us wild and crazy women shopping together.

Well as they looked around I decided to wander and dig in some of the bins they had. The store had put smaller remnants of fabric in plastic baggies and then thrown them into the bins. Most of the baggies were full of print fabrics, like one that was from a colonial women series. Basically made to look like red-work only..it was printed directly onto the fabric.

Well..look what I saved from the bins!!

There are around 25 of these vintage designs, they are all Valentines designs from what I can tell.
Here is the back of the postcards. Though it would have to be pieced together as it is not printed on reverse of each card.

Now I just have to figure out what to do with them. Any suggestions??

8 comments:

  1. There are several options: My favorite is this stuff called fast2fuse. It is stiff, white and flat with fusible on both sides. You can cut it to fit the fabric and then adhear the fabric to both sides with an iron. I use parchment paper to protect my iron from the fusible. Then you can cover the edges of the fast2fuse with a sewing machine's zigzag or other fancy stitch or you could you use embroidery thread, but I warn you, that is hard on your hands.

    You could also put card board or quilt batting in between the pieces of fabric. Use a Pigma brand pen for writing directly on the fabric. I find the easiest way to do this is to put the fabric on a fairly fine piece of sand paper so it doesn't move. Then you can stamp it and mail it as any other mail art. You often have to put an extra 20 cents on it because it can't always be run through the machines.

    My friends and I used to send these fiber post cards all the time.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness! You are one of the luckiest people I know. LOL. Such bargains.

    Pamela has a great idea, too, and I like Sharon's. Why not mail them and let people do their thing? OMG! I wish I could embroider a letter, but I'd go nuts first. Aha! I just had an idea! Gotta type it in Stickies before I forget!

    Please, please, please! May I have one? Please? :) Must I tell you my idea first? :( :) Ooh, this is good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon- Thank you! That will probably help me mail them out to people next Valentines Day!

    Pamela- I will be sure to keep you on my list of people to send one to. =)

    Limner- I have just got to know what you are up to, but I will send you one and you can fill in the details when you are finished. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could make a card out of cardstock then stitch or glue the card on the front.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah- That is what I was thinking. Simple and fast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A little glue and a bit of embroidery to make sure everything stays intact and also to liven up the commercial fabric. That personal touch, y'know? Great find.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't agree more! I can't wait for Valentine's Day to roll around again!

    ReplyDelete