Monday, December 5, 2011

Closing of Mail Sorting Facilities

Remember that post I did a few days ago? The one about how the USPS is no longer going to guarantee that First Class Mail will reach its destination overnight?

Well, I have just read about the changes that will be taking place here in Ohio. The postal service is considering closing 10 Ohio Processing Centers leaving only 2 in the whole state. Which means my mail might take longer to reach many of you.

I knew the cuts were going to be bad, but I didn't realize it would be this drastic. Have any of you heard of cuts in your neck of the woods?

3 comments:

  1. I just heard it on the news, pretty big changes will be happening for sure. Sounds like nationwide half of all the sorting facilities, but no mention of where that I could see yet. xox Corrine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to run a search online for effects that would hit me here, but I haven't a clue if their closing anything down that would lengthen my mail being sent!? I think where it will affect anything is the delivery on the opposite end!? For instance, if one person lives in a state who is near a sorting facility and it stays open, their mail goes out expedited. IF its going to a state that consolated it lengthens the delivery. Therefore, I think we can all expect letters to take between 7 to 10 days within the states, and perhaps up to 14 or 20 days overseas. I know some countries can avg. a month for delivery right now.

    I don't really mind the time it takes, because I've been writing letters since before email, so before that invention, you simply had to wait for your mail to arrive. You didn't always notice the gaps in time either. The letters seemed to arrive in good order and rather quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Corrine- I had heard that it was going to be about half. It is so sad..even more important than thinking of the time it will take mail to move around...is the thought of all those people possibly losing their jobs. It is very sad.

    Anon- I agree with your predictions. Mail will take a bit longer, but I still feel like I will be getting a bargain.

    ReplyDelete