Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Another Long Journey



The letter above finally arrived at its destination after a long 66 year journey. How crazy is that? It was travelling from Hyde Park, NY to Gloucester, MA. The article says that if an actual snail was making that journey, it would have made it in 6.5 years. That is a big difference from 66!

They don't know where it was for the last few decades, but there was a bit of speculation that perhaps it was in an estate sale of some kind, as the letter was mailed from Seattle this past month. If you are a stamp enthusiast you will notice that the envelope is a first day cover. So there was also speculation that it was part of a stamp collection and perhaps someone wanted the letter to go to the original intended recipient.

Unfortunately the recipient has since passed away. Which makes me wonder if she ever missed the letter. Did the sender send another letter? Or maybe this letter carried an important message...perhaps a friendship ended over this letter not making its destination. The possibilities are completely endless!!

8 comments:

  1. i love this post! you really do have to wonder how their lives were altered (if at all?) by this letter and it's MISadventure!! has the letter been opened?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as the letter being opened...I dunno. The article didn't say..though I believe (from the way it read) that the envelope has remained unopened. It is quite the mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wouldn't it be cool to know that was inside! I'm so nosy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stories unrecorded in history. Always fascination speculation about thes "missing" letters. xox Corrime

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh--I want to know what's inside!! Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know!! It really bugs me to not know what's inside...but then again if I knew and it wasn't exciting then I would be bummed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read about this! One wonders how much other "lost mail" is out there! Cool FDC as well...methinks it's time to go thru some of my old ones...I always enjoy the time spent looking at them!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this story. Mail,even when lost, is great! Who knows, maybe you have a letter out there in the world....

    ReplyDelete