Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Another Stamp Post

So while I was at work today I spent some time looking over some things. First of those things was to read through all those lovely blogs that I follow. I love looking to see what other people are into.

Well after I read through the blogs I will take a bit of time to look into interesting Postal history or anything that is happening that could make a good entry here. Well today I learned something new..so I thought I would share it with you. (if you already know this...then...consider this a refresher.)

So, if you are a dense librarian like me, you may assume that the only stamps that you can buy as postage are either issued from the postal service, or from websites like Zazzle that let you make custom postage. However, there is another source.

The United Nations Postal Administration (UNPA) issues stamps throughout the year too!! And after looking at them I have decided that I really neat. Here is the most recent addition to the website:



But of course there are a bunch of others that you can purchase too! You can get them cancelled or pristine. Personally I think it would be awesome to add these as postage to a letter or card. =)

So I don't know about you guys but I think I may have to purchase some of these.

Ok..and now...tell me...how many of you knew about these stamps?

8 comments:

  1. I didn't know the UN had their own stamps. How cool. I especially love the Indigenous People set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know about these. I love the endangered species with the butterfly and dragonfly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I didn't know about Zazzle but have had stamps made thru the USPS services...I did know about the UN stamps! In fact I have a bunch of older mint condition issues that I'd love to find a new home for...if you're interested I'll give them to you for the cost of shipping them to you. Shoot me an email if you want to discuss this more...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked a lot of the different ones they had on their site. I guess I need to add them to my list of sites to frequent.

    On a side note, it makes me feel good inside when I can find something to write about that not only teaches ME something, but also teaches everyone else a little something too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know! Thank you for teaching us ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this new stamp source! Some lovely designs to be had! Just a note from the "Things You Should Know" section of the UNPA site, "United Nations stamps in United States denominations are valid for postage only if mailed at United Nations Headquarters in New York City." I don't frequent NYC, but I still might order some of the smaller denominations for decorative use. Happy mail day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Misty - who would ever thought that this hobby of ours would be so educational? I'm learning every single time I receive a postcard!
    I'm happy to tell you that I already received the vintage Valentine's card. Oh, imagine my delight! Will be sending you a postcard over the weekend.
    Okorn charan na! Thank you very much!

    Postcards Crossing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Daisy!! I should have amended my statement about adding them as postage. I meant as decorative postage. Haha. But again thank you for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete