Thursday, October 13, 2011

Sad Mailbox News..

Look closely at the lower left side of this picture and you will see the post that my mailbox used to be attached to. It had been in the ground since my grandparents bought this house which was over 60 years ago. Today, early this morning, a young girl slammed on her brakes to avoid running through the stop sign on the bus in the opposite lane. With all the rain we have had her brakes locked up and she ran smack into the post/mailbox.

As you can see the mailbox isnt too damaged. A few screws will need to be replaced but overall it held up pretty well. And the brightest part of the news is that the young girl was not hurt at all, though I suspect she will have some whiplash soreness later on. Her car was fine too, and as far as I know she was not sited by the cop. We didn't exchange insurance info (the damage was too insignificant to worry about, plus we were just thankful she was ok) and my brother came and got her car unstuck from the post(which was hung up underneath the car).
You can see that she attempted to stop way before the mailbox, but when her brakes grabbed and stuck it jerked her car. She said all she could think about was that she was going to hit the telephone pole that is just to the left of the picture above. Someone must have been looking down on her, because it could have been much much worse.

This is a good lesson for me to remind Carter of why I tell him NEVER to stand near our mailbox (or near the road in general). It only takes a second for something like this to happen. Even accidents can cause major damage.

Lets end todays post on a happy note shall we?
This is Dozer, my brother's dog. He is HUGE. But how can you not love that face?

4 comments:

  1. Dozer looks like if you got close enough he would give you a huge sloppy kiss! I am glad no one was hurt and that your mail box is still usable! Now we just need to make it feel better by filling it with postal goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Now that's something to be thankful for: Everyone safe and sound. The ESP thing is working again. I came here to ask for Butch's forgiveness. I referred to him as Buster in last night's letter. :( Then I get to meet Dozer. I wouldn't dare forget his name. :) Now where's a photo of Butch?

    Seriously, she left quite a trail. Please, please, please, tell Carter the Great to stay away from the mailbox and the road. He has to obey rules the cowboy way. ;)

    Hug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's a mailbox that deserves lots of mail. I'm glad everything is okay in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elle- Dozer would certainly give you puppy kisses. He isn't even a year old yet. Today I was visiting my brother with my mother..haha..and Dozer jumped into the front seat of the car. Needless to say, we had to scrub muddy puppy prints off the seat.

    Limner- I promise to post a picture of Butch in the leaves tomorrow after work. That is, if it dries up enough to do so. We are having a "rain event" currently. Haha. If nothing else I will post a pic of him in the house. =)

    And my mailbox is feeling much better now because I got some letters, postcards, and shhhhh (I also got Ms. Ashley's christmas present in the mail!!)

    ReplyDelete